Creating equity in healthcare for LGBT+ people
From Robbie Court
We invite you to join us for an informal discussion on what healthcare professionals should know in order to ensure equity in care to LGBT+ people.
Themes that were discussed include:
• LGBT patient friendly language (knowing how to interact respectfully)
• Being an active ally in healthcare
• LGBT sexual health/illness (i.e what you didn’t learn at school)
• LGBT mental health/illness
We were delighted that the following speakers managed to join us for this discussion:
• Dr Thom O’Neill, Clinical Teaching Fellow and paediatric doctor in Edinburgh. Thom teaches internationally on healthcare inequalities and social determinants of health, and is responsible for equalities and diversity for NHS Lothian's Medical Education Directorate.
• Debbie Aitken, Senior Lecturer in Medical Education and Director of Clinical Educator Programme, University of Edinburgh.
• Dr Ben Taylor-Davies, FY2 doctor in Edinburgh and GLADD (The Association of LGBTQ+ Doctors and Dentists) committee member. Ben is passionate about equality in healthcare and the promotion of equality and diversity teaching within undergraduate medical education.
• Lorraine Close, nurse, clinical skills facilitator, yoga teacher and Director of Edinburgh Community Yoga Outreach.
• Laura Shoveller, Y4 Edinburgh medical student at the University of Edinburgh, former president of LGBT+ Medics Society and current WellMed LGBT+ Liberation Officer.
Laura has a special interest in LGBT+ healthcare and making a safe space for LGBT+ healthcare professionals.
You can get more info or contact the Staff Pride Network via:
email [email protected]