Katy Montgomerie: On combating online hate and the gender-critical movement
From Robbie Court
Katy Montgomerie has emerged as one of the most significant trans media figures in the UK, her 80.4k followers on Twitter and 15.3k YouTube-channel subscribers indicating the breadth of her popularity. She is a regular contributor on trans-inclusive online news and current-affairs channels such as Novara Media, the Owen Jones YouTube channel, and LBC with Natasha Devon. There, Katy’s gift for both debunking anti-trans narratives and for explaining trans-centred policy issues in clear and succinct terms has made her a vital communicator for combating transphobia and misinformation in the public domain. Equally, Katy’s experience of navigating social media has allowed her to develop important insights into dealing with the anti-trans abuse and anti-trans networks that organize against trans people online.
It can be argued that through this combination of experience and communication skills, few people are better placed to talk about dealing with transphobic hate online than Katy Montgomerie, and we are lucky to have her as our guest at the University of Edinburgh.
This event, hosted by the University of Edinburgh’s Staff Pride Network (SPN), is kindly supported by the University and College Union (UCU) Edinburgh and REPHRAIN - National Research Centre on Privacy, Harm Reduction and Adversarial Influence Online.
You can get more info or contact SPN via:
email [email protected]
BSL users can contact us through contactSCOTLAND-BSL: https://contactscotland-bsl.org/
Members SharePoint https://uoe.sharepoint.com/sites/staffpridenetwork
Links from the Talk
● Dysphorum - https://twitter.com/Dysphorum
● Logically - https://www.logically.ai/articles/keepprisonssinglesex-pushed-by-botnet
● OJP - https://ovc.ojp.gov/sites/g/files/xyckuh226/files/pubs/forge/sexual_numbers.html
● Domestic Shelters Org - https://www.domesticshelters.org/articles/health/how-trauma-rewires-the-brain
● Stonewall - https://www.stonewall.org.uk/cy/node/54590
● Michael P. Dentato - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Ppc4DwAAQBAJ
● Crossland - https://www.crosslandsolicitors.com/site/hr-hub/transgender-discrimination-in-UK-workplaces
● Stop Funding Hate - https://stopfundinghate.info/2021/12/11/stop-funding-hate-supporters-credited-with-bringing-about-ch...
● Hope Not Hate - https://hopenothate.org.uk/2019/10/04/deplatforming-works-lets-get-on-with-it/
● APA - https://www.apa.org/monitor/nov01/contact
● Pettigrew and Tropp - https://tedcantle.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/1 07-Pettigrew-and-Tropp-Contact-meta-analysis-2006.pdf
● RUSI - https://static.rusi.org/20190704_grntt_paper_4.pdf
● ADL - https://www.adl.org/education/resources/tools-and-strategies/question-corner/how-do-children-learn-p... ce
● J. Douglas Bremner, MD - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181836/
● Brandwatch - https://www.brandwatch.com/reports/transphobia/
● WDI - https://www.womensdeclaration.com/en/declaration-womens-sex-based-rights-full-text/
● Washington Post - https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/09/03/cloudflare-drops-kiwifarms/
● NY Times - https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/23/opinion/sunday/how-kids-learn-prejudice.html
● Galop - https://galop.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Trans-Hate-Crime-Report-2020.pdf
● KatysCartoons - https://twitter.com/KatysCartoons/status/1506302759267614732