New Wikimedia projects - Wikifunctions and Abstract Wikipedia
From Ewan McAndrew
- Denny Vrandečić (WMF) - Product Manager
- Adam Baso (WMF) - Engineering Director
- James Forrester (WMF) - Software Engineer
- Genoveva Galarza (WMF) - Software Engineer
- Arthur Lorenzi - Volunteer developer
- Cory Massaro (WMF) - Software Engineer
- Quiddity (WMF) - Community Relations
- Arthur Smith - Volunteer developer
- Lindsay Wardell - Software Engineer
- Lucas Werkmeister - Volunteer developer
We will soon launch the first new Wikimedia project in eight years, Wikifunctions.
In this session we want to offer the community ample opportunity to learn about our plans, to discuss them, and to raise awareness of how this project may provide opportunities to change the work in the projects.
Most of the time will be for open questions.
We will start by presenting a short video about Wikifunctions and Abstract Wikipedia to show parts of how they will work.
- Wikifunctions is a new Wikimedia project that allows anyone to create and maintain code. This is useful in many different ways. It provides a catalog of all kinds of functions that anyone can call, write, maintain, and use. It also provides code that translates the language-independent article from Abstract Wikipedia into the language of a Wikipedia. This allows everyone to read the article in their language. Wikifunctions will use knowledge about words and entities from Wikidata.
- The goal of Abstract Wikipedia is to let more people share more knowledge in more languages. Abstract Wikipedia is a conceptual extension of Wikidata. In Abstract Wikipedia, people can create and maintain Wikipedia articles in a language-independent way. A particular language Wikipedia can translate this language-independent article into its language. Code does the translation.
- What is Wikifunctions and how is it useful for me as a Wikimedian
- What is Abstract Wikipedia and how can I contribute to it and how can my project benefit from it
- What is a timeline of these changes happening
- Full (90 min) Session recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LecYqXHvHfg
- 12 minute intro-video shown at the start: File:Wikimania 2021 Abstract Wikipedia and Wikifunctions Introduction.webm