Ward 123 - Being the FY Doctor on the ward
From Ryan Hamilton
• Simran Piya (Class of 2022)
• Yige Zhang (Class of 2022)
• Shin Thong Low (Class of 2022)
• Kalina Czyzykowska (Class of 2022)
In this session, four 5th Year Medical students take you through a scenario where you are a newly qualified Junior Doctor working on Ward 123. During your shift, you have 4 different patients on the ward to deal with. Our students talk you through each patient to help develop your knowledge and understanding of medicine.
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
1. Think of different causes for chest pain, steps towards diagnosing the cause of chest pain and think about lifestyle factors that lead to heart disease
2. Understand the basic principles to assessing any unwell patients
3. Explore the history, examination and diagnosis of someone presenting with a chest infection
4. Understand the basics of insulin action and Type I diabetes mellitus.