Integrating Wikidata into the Wikimedia projects
From Ewan McAndrew
Individual presentations (5 minutes each):
- User:Mike Peel (overview)
- User:Nirali Sahoo (synchronising Wikipedia and Wikidata)
- EricaAzzellini (Mbabel)
- Benoît Prieur (French Wikipedia and Wikivoyage)
- putnik (Russian Wikipedia and small projects)
Followed by open Q&A (20 minutes).Abstract
Wikidata holds multilingual structured data about the subjects of Wikipedia articles, Commons categories, and more. Integrating that data into the Wikimedia projects is an obvious thing to do, and nowadays Wikidata is used in millions of Wikimedia pages. However, adoption of it has gone at very different speeds in different projects, with some welcoming it, others being very reluctant to adopt it.
In this panel discussion we will hear different viewpoints about Wikidata, and hear some of the success stories and the difficulties that have been encountered over the last few years. For example, we will discuss the success of the Wikidata Infobox on Commons, and the reluctance of the English Wikipedia to use information drawn from Wikidata.
Draft slides are available at  - feel free to comment! Final slides will be uploaded to Commons after the presentation.Session Outcomes
- How Wikidata is used in Wikimedia projects
- The benefits of including information from Wikidata
- The challenges encountered while doing so